Friday, February 27, 2009

If you're an IEP teacher, expect (in most cases) no control

I've taught in several mediums. I have taught at high schools in Japan. I have taught at conversation-only schools. I have taught in community centers in Japan. I've taught in test prep schools. I've taught in (and still teach. Now I also manage) Intensive English Programs. And I'm currently teaching at the community college level.

I have to say, working as an IEP teacher...you really don't have much control! I've noticed that you have to perform at your A-game level ability with these students. Because if they are not satisfied with your teaching, they can talk to your supervisor, and...guess what...bye bye! Now, don't get me wrong, this can happen in most other teaching situations also. But the only difference is that if you teach at an IEP, it seems to be quicker. At least at the community college level, you have an entire semester to get better. At an IEP, a 'semester' is basically 1 month, so if you screw up in one month...bye bye! Also, they may not 'fire' you, but they will reduce your class load, which means that if you have bills to pay and only have one class to teach...you will 'voluntarily' fire yourself!

Or...if you are as smart as I was back then....you'd take the 1 class, and supplement by finding another job that could supplement your pay. Then, when they forgive you and give you more classes, you are back in the groove! I've had experiences similar to this before, and it has made me smarter.

"How did it make me smarter?" Well, I learned my lessons and did whatever I could to improve my teaching pedagogy! I tried to implement all the styles of learning that I studied in my second language acquisition class. And I grew from my experience! So...for all of those IEP teachers struggling out there, remember....when times become grey, and you are about to give up...improve yourself and you will see sunny skies once again!