Sunday, March 22, 2009

Are IEP and ESL teachers affected by the recession?

Wow...I haven't written for a while. This is because life at work (managing at an IEP) has gotten a bit more tiresome. Now...I have to do manage the homestay stuff, assist in the management of the school, teach a brand new class (an advanced class and a low level listening and speaking class), and other stuff. So, can I say that IEPs have been affected by the recession? I would say...heck ya!!! When the managers (The Center Director AND myself) have to teach classes, that is a sign that upper management is trying to find a way to reduce the number of teachers and staff to stay profitable. In a way, I understand this, so I don't complain too much about it. Interestingly, my school is doing okay...better than other schools. But it takes a drain on all of us working at the school!

One thing that I could say I have benefited from doing all these things at the same time is this....I have become a better multi-tasker!! I am beginning to realize that this is the kind of lives we are living in this millenia. We have to multi-task. I do that while I am teaching (juggling all the different levels and not mixing it up). I do that while I am managing. I do that while I am sleeping. Ugh....

Another thing I have learned while working at an IEP is...you have to be 'very' flexible. I don't know if I would have survived this long at my job if I weren't flexible with the demands of the industry. If you work in an IEP, don't expect to be as rich as a lawyer or doctor or engineer. Actually, IEP teachers are like blue collar workers, at least in the U.S., I think. When I was in Japan, I felt more like a white collar worker, with a lot of prestige. Now, I feel like just a worker on an assembly line...the assembly line of teaching English. Double ugh....

No comments:

Post a Comment